Sunday, July 27, 2008

A week of tranquility


Happy Birthday to Dad! As the song goes, “one year older and wiser too! Happy Birthday to You!”. I am still trying to get used to not having Sam around so much and figuring how to get the most of our time with him. We had dinners with two other families this week and I didn’t hurry home because I didn’t know if Sam would be home. Tuesday night expected to drop some clothes off at the church for him as I assumed he was going straight from work to YM. I didn’t hear from him until 9:15pm saying that he was on his way. Once he got home he said he had to leave again in 45 min to go back. So Wednesday we really didn’t hurry home from friends house only to find that he had been home for about an hour and a half when I got home at about 8:30pm. Sam made it to basketball Wednesday night. He is really glad to have that on a regular basis. Last night he was on call and had to leave at 10pm to check on a patient and got home at about 12:30pm. Just so everyone understands, the oral maxillofacial (OMF) group rotates trauma call at the hospital with plastics and ENT surgical teams. During his internship and residency Sam will be learning to do almost any surgery involving the head and neck and he will care for any head injuries that come through the ER during the first ten days of the month and will have to stay at the hospital on the nights that he is on call. It is a bit confusing and we are still adjusting.
Here was my week in brief.
Monday - laundry
Tuesday - baked blueberry muffins and cut out a pattern for a pioneer dress for Abby only to remember that my sewing machine doesn’t sew thin materials well. Dinner with other medical intern families at the Brosnehan’s
Wednesday - Shopping and visit/dinner with the Squires
Thursday - Cleaning. The children also finally earned the hot wheel that they picked out. Scott had to practice the piano in a timely fashion for twenty days and Abigail had to make up her bed for twenty days. This made them happy all day.
Friday - Free Day. Despite it being free day I was very busy. After breakfast I immediately started putting together two lasagnas, three chicken parmesan dinners, and one pan of brownie cheesecake bars. Most of this will be frozen and used later. We were late going to the library, but I still enjoyed browsing through books for an hour while the children looked at books, did puzzles and games. Scott helped me find an interesting book on yoga. After the library we went to the river and the children seemed to enjoy it even more, but we just didn’t have enough time.
Saturday - Pioneer Breakfast at church. Sam finally mowed the yard. The weeds were about knee high. Besides his busy schedule we had to get the mower fixed.

No comments: