Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday with Sam


Perhaps this title is not completely realistic. Sam is not here right now. He left early this morning for rounds at the hospital. Yesterday I was so excited to have a Saturday with him and I had spent a lot of time planning and thinking of different senarios of family work time mingled with family adventures. So I was a bit deflated when he didn't return from Saturday morning rounds until after noon. Oh well. I got some work done and later in the afternoon Sam let me go for a long run. My plans for our Friday evening date did work out nicely though. Sam and I went bike riding along the canal. We went about ten miles and we were able to figure out how the path connected with the path I ran from the Science Center a few weeks ago. The children were thrilled to spend time with friends Friday. Abigail especially has been very sad about not being able to see her friends in Birmingham. So Friday I arranged to meet a few families at the park. There is a new library here that the children love. So Friday I got a few books to brows through while the children played and looked at books in the children's section. Then we met our friends at the park next to the library. We had a lovely time and after playing at the park we were invited to the Brosnehans house to play some more. Yesterday evening we went to a pool party at the Guthrie's home. Our new ward has so many members with pools that they were able to arrange a ward pool dinner night. It was a lot of fun for everyone. I am amazed once again at the depth in this ward.

Allison is continuing to tell me she needs to use the potty so we bought a new potty seat yesterday. This is delightful and perplexing because I just stocked up on diapers and a lot of her summer clothes have bottom snaps.

Scott is learning to love the internet. Now that Sam isn't home as much I can't says, "Ask your Dad when he comes home." So instead I say, "Let's look it up on the internet." So far we have researched how the eye works how telescopes work and learned more about the Blue Angels. I let Scott peruse their website while I bathed the girls and he ran to me saying, "One of the Blue Angels is from Alabama! That means he's like my twin!" Then we had to discuss what twins were.

Abigail is my literal child and it is fun to hear her take on things. After we were done at the pool she proudly said, "I didn't drown Mom! I didn't drown!" She has been so encouraging with Allison's toilet training and cheering and clapping for Allison. She is a good big sister.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Hello Verina,

I just wanted to let you know that I got your blog address from Mikes email. I am glad you started this. I don't know you guys very well (just from what Mike has said and he is a man of little words) so I am glad that I can read about your sweet family on here. I hope that we will be able to get to know each other better over the next few years. Mike thinks the world of the 2 of you and that says a lot.

Have a great day!!!!

Natalie