
We finally got High school Musical and watched it with the children. I think Scott was very inspired by it. Today in Primary the chorister was taking turns with the Junior and Senior Primary. She turned to the Junior Primary and Scott rallied the children with, “Come on lets show her what we got!” Both he and Abigail could be heard over everyone else.

Yesterday Sam and I began with a great outline and plan for the day. Sam had to go in and work in the morning and then he would come home. I was making Chicken Parmesan with Scott in the kitchen and Abigail was practicing her piano with Allison when I heard her fall off the bench. She was really hurt. I spoke to Sam on the phone and I was impressed that he was able to correctly deduce that Abigail had a fractured, mildly displaced collarbone. I took her to Sam and he took her to the children’s ER for x-rays. I feel really bad for anyone who has to wait in an ER, but it was nice that they streamlined Sam and Abigail. It was a good thing too. Sam got paged while getting x-rays with Abigail (he was on-call) and called me to come get Abigail. He used the computers in the ER to view the CT scan on the patient he was called on and Abigail was pretty impressed with the “pictures”. Abigail came home with a sling and we just have to be really careful about not bumping or falling for a few weeks.

I’m sending a picture of the compost I am trying to decompose aerobically in a garbage can. I found a video on the internet of how to do this. They demonstrate easily punching holes in a garbage can with a hammer and a nail in the video. So I got my garbage can, hammer and nails and started pounding away. Thirty minutes of pounding later I didn’t have much to show and Sam who had been trying to nap inside was not impressed. He came out, shook his head, and said there must be a better way. He reemerged with a hand drill and I was completely finished in probably less than ten minutes.

I canned peaches and the children had dentist appointments this week. I was so amused by the dentist’s summary of the children’s reactions. Scott was so interested and involved in what was going on that it made the exam a bit challenging, but at least he was cooperative. Abigail showed immediate signs of distrust and skepticism which made x-rays and the exam difficult. Allison persistently asked them not to put holes in her and once she was satisfied she could trust them she was putty in their hands. I could have written the dentist’s synopsis beforehand so it was rather amusing to listen to.

I wish you could see Abigail and Allison play. They are superb examples of cooperative play. They practice musical note flashcards together. Abigail shows Allison a card and says, “what’s this?…..(quietly) it’s A.” Allison, “A!” Abigail, “YES Allison! Good job”. Allison, “I did it all by myself!” Whatever success Allison achieves in this life will have to be in part ascribed to Abigail’s diligent tutoring. She loves to drill Allison in counting, letters, music, stories. It is so constructive I’m amazed.

I taught my last gospel doctrine lesson today because I was sustained as the Primary pianist and secretary. I think they will be glad to be rid of me in GD. I would start class by inviting everyone to fill all the seats in the center and front being sure to leave no seats empty between people. It was something Elder Eyring would do while I was at BYU and I figured that if it was good for him it was a good thing for me to do, but I didn’t get the feeling that many people were very keen on this approach.

1 comment:
Verina, I'll need you to tell me what kind of success you get with your compost because I've been trying to think of a way to create my own compost for when we move and I'm just not sure of what to do, but looking at your picture, it looks much more.... I think I'll use the word plesent, then the ideas I was coming up with.
Sorry about Abigail's arm. I hope she heals soon.
Post a Comment