Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fragrant Air Lightly Lingers

I have been wanting to write and put it off too often lately. Perhaps President Monson’s words about putting off for tomorrow have impacted me a bit. The children are doing well though this seems less and less to my credit and (if possible) even less to their credit, and more to angels who must be watching over us, much like Elder Holland described. There seem to be more and more days when I seriously consider parenting strategies along the lines of survival of the fittest. But there are moments of bliss and satisfaction. Like when Abigail is riding her bike in the rain and singing Alvin and the Chipmunks and asking to take the long way home, because its just so much fun. Or suddenly realizing that Scott got up and started on his bike without my help after sooo many times when I would support him and give him a push. (He has graduated to a bigger bike with handle brakes and gear shifts.) Or when I’m laying down and Allison does a belly flop on my face, because to a 21 month old this is a perfectly acceptable form of affection. My favorite perhaps was Allison refusing to let me help her with her prayer this evening. I stepped out of the room for a moment and returned only to find Abigail kneeling next to Allison helping her pray. Scott also makes such heroic efforts to be helpful sometimes. Like this evening, knowing how frustrating it is for me to herd everyone to bed, he offered to lay out the clothes for the girls so they could start getting dressed. Allison managed to get her pants on right side out, but was very proud of herself. Sam has finally learned what it means to have a Daddy’s girl and I am loving it. As soon as Sam comes home Mommy is second best in everything. Daddy must change her diapers, pick up items she throws on the floor at dinner and help her into her car seat. But Allison is grateful because on the other hand she will do just about anything Daddy asks her including massage his head with dryer balls.
The weather here has been marvelous. This last week it was finally down in the fifties in the morning, though it still gets up into the high eighties during the days. The children are shivering and putting on jackets in the mornings, but asking for their bathing suits in the afternoon. This is a picture of Abigail with our container garder we are doing here. Sam has been enjoying a rewarding football season, though he has less time than ever to enjoy it. Both Alabama and BYU are undefeated. Scott and Sam are both proudly wearing their team attire. Sam and I were able to go on our first date for a long time, because he has been on call or busy most Friday nights. We played golf and we played it horribly, but we really enjoyed it.

4 comments:

Suzie said...

Looks like you guys are having lots of fun! Don't forget the Utes are undefeated too! :)

Jill said...

SCROGGINS!!!!!!!!!!!!! how are you guys doing???? just thought i'd drop a line and tell you to visit me at my web log! :)

Kara said...

Your kids are so cute. I think that it is so fun to see my relatives families! I am glad that you are doing well. Does anyone else in your family have a blog other that Sabrina?

dippyrooroo said...

I'm so glad to see a new post! I thought you might have given it up! Weather in the fifties sounds nice! We had snow yesterday! That's Montana for you!